08 June 2008

Cadillac Escalade

Nothing pisses me off like a Cadillac Escalade. Especially the pearl white.

It's not that I can't afford to drive one. I admire and respect the success of people who have worked hard enough to afford luxury items. It's the whole concept of the Escalade that bothers me.

An Escalade is just another SUV. A sport-utility vehicle. SUVs were, in theory, designed to pull loads, carry cargo, accommodate multiple persons and go off road. Who goes off road in their Caddi? Anyone? I didn't think so. And I have rarely seen a woman driver of an Escalade who I believed would ever load cargo.

A while back we went to dinner and there was an Escalade parked right at the front door, using two spaces. The driver did it intentionally, as the vehicle was parked directly on top of the line between the spaces. It wouldn't get bumped by the door of somebody's old Ford POS that way. This is my proof that people who drive an Escalade do not drive it because it is a performance SUV that can endure the punishment of rugged treatment. They drive it because it is a big, giant Cadillac and it demonstrates their carefree attitude toward the price of gas. I have never wanted to key a car so badly in my life.

No comments: