10 February 2008

Organized and Efficient

I have always wanted to be organized and efficient. Unfortunately, you can't get that way just by wishing. You need a strategy. As yet I have not developed an organized and efficient strategy for getting there.

But I do find inspiration in lots of places. This weekend we had breakfast at Waffle House. I'm not particularly a fan of breakfast foods, and I nearly always regret eating breakfast out, but I'm glad I went. I was in the perfect position to watch the hashbrowns kid do his magic.

The place is packed with people waiting for tables. Waitresses are yelling out orders like a quarterback in the huddle:

"I got eggs and cheese, double hash, scattered, chunked and peppered on two!"

"On three, make it crispy! Smothered, diced and covered!"

In the meantime, this kid is doing hashbrowns, waffles and toast as fast as possible. He's got three batches of hashbrowns on the grill, six waffle irons going at once, and he butters, slices and plates two pieces of toast at a time in about three seconds. And he's doing this the whole time all the yelling, customer chatter and other cooking is going on around him. He does it with such an ease and such a rhythm and with the most calm and controlled expression on his face. He was in the zone. He was organized and efficient. I couldn't even eat my food because I was too busy watching the guy cook.

I suppose it all has to do with concentration, routine and good habits. In any case, I admire it. Perhaps I should go to work for Waffle House. Maybe I could learn a thing or two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That guy knows that he is a master of his art, and an indispensable quantity at that Waffle House. That gets him through the day, but every time he thinks about it, he dies a little inside, because he works at a Waffle House.

Moxie Dawn said...

deymond, my attorney advises me to warn you that making posts like this without first issuing a warning about possible falling-out-of-chair laughter could result in a lawsuit or poke in the eye with a sharp stick.