21 April 2008

Deep Fried Junk

I admit to eating too much junk, but even I am mesmerized by the gastronomic horror show that is a convenience mart deli.

There is one next to my office, and sometimes if there is no time to drive into town I will go there for lunch. Luckily, they have sub sandwiches available, but the big sellers are in the fried food case, sweating under heat lamps, cooked to golden brown perfection. Egg rolls, something called taquitos, potatoes, corn dogs and so on, all deep fried and ready to go. Today I discovered they have macaroni-and-cheese nuggets. Seriously.

First you take macaroni-and-cheese, which is already one of the worst things you can possibly consume, and you roll it into balls, dip them in batter and deep fry the damn things. And then, supposedly, people eat them. Probably dipped in ranch dressing.

I'm sorry, are you feeling queasy? Me too, and believe me, I have eaten plenty of junk in my day. At this point I'm thinking that not even the fair can beat deep-fried macaroni-and-cheese nuggets in the Heart Attack Inducing Foods department. Well, unless they figure out a way to serve them on a stick.

I bought a bag of cashews and called it lunch.

No comments: