01 October 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

October is the best month. Autumn arrives and stirs a crispness into the air. Football is in full swing. Everywhere you turn there is a county fair or a traveling carnival. It's the first chance to wear that snuggly sweater I've been missing since March. And it means Halloween is near.

I realize that, in the eyes of many, saying Halloween is my favorite holiday (followed closely by St. Patrick's Day) is some sort of blasphemy. Everyone is supposed to love Christmas above all things. Well, too bad. I find Christmas to be entirely too stressful, filled with compulsory visits with relatives you barely know and like even less, or manic shopping trips for gifts that cost too much and are still not up to standard. Humbug.

Halloween is full of fun and magick and mischief. It's the one day when it's OK to be a witch or a little devilish. You can buy your costume or make it. Face paint is enough. All it takes to enjoy it is a bag of candy, a good imagination and the desire to be spooked. Haunted houses and haunted hayrides. Late-night scary movie marathons. Nothing is more fun than a fright.

Oh, and the full moon is on the 13th. Not as good as Halloween, but lucky still.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

541986. Halloween approaches
by imitatingart, 10/2/08 9:42 ET
and I dread the costume of patronizing,
the fright of not being loved by my forum crush,

and finding a lump of coal in my bag,when I had hoped for sweets,

oh, the pangs of a lingering obsession, based on hope and air,

No ghost can frighten me,Just what I know is not there.

Happy Halloween

I think love/lust has inspired some of the worst poetry, but there it is.