01 October 2008

Found Happiness

You know how you get your winter coat out of the closet for the first time of the season, and you reach into the pocket to find a crumpled five dollar bill? Isn't it wonderful? It's not the lottery or anything, but it's a surprise, an unexpected gift. Yes, it was always your money, but that isn't the point. You didn't know you had it, so it's...free.

I lost an earring this week. I was certain that I lost it at the carnival, and so it would be gone forever, having been trampled into powdered crystal and crumpled metal under the feet of carnies and frolicking teenagers. I was particularly disappointed, because it was from a pair I had bought to replace another pair which had been broken. And the crystals were orange, so they matched my Auburn gear and my Browns gear. I almost threw the other one into the trash out of disgust. But I didn't.

Happily, I found it today! It was being batted around the kitchen floor by a kitten. When I saw it, I was as elated as I have been about anything in weeks, and even more so that I hadn't disposed of its mate. It occurred to me later as I enjoyed the tickling on my earlobes that it can take little to make a day pleasant. Five dollars in your pocket. A five-dollar pair of earrings. Small things as these can make the mundanity bearable.

No comments: