20 March 2008

Hoops-A-Licious


Basketball is not my favorite sport. Not even my second favorite. But like many, I tend to get caught up in the whole March Madness thing. Mostly, I like to beat people in insignificant contests, so I fill in a bracket and challenge my friends. I got second place last year, and I had no help at all.

But this year my competitive nature made me start to want more, and that made me start to over-analyze my bracket choices. I sought input from one of the football forums. You might imagine, sage advice was in short supply. Homers will scream out their favorite team's name in orgasmic ecstasy, even if they are a 16 seed. Some people will advise you to go with standard Final Four teams with no further thought. Others will start handing out NCAA tourney facts: four No. 1 seeds have never met in the Final Four, no 16 seed has ever beaten a 1 seed, etc. These are things I already know. Eventually, I remembered this was a football forum when I was told that, as a woman, I should just pick my teams based on colors and mascots. I realized then that at least half the fellas there didn't know any more than I did about college hoops.

So after careful analysis, I'm going with UCLA to win it all. This analysis consists mainly of reading the little postage stamp sized stat box on my Yahoo! pick'em bracket. I have North Carolina over Wisconsin and UCLA over Texas in the Final Four. Then I went with the Bruins due to their superior defensive efficiency stat. Defense wins games in football, so let's hope it holds true for hoops as well.

And if it doesn't, oh well. It's still three weeks of intense boys-playing-sports action! I can live with it.

No comments: