22 May 2008

Off Season Psychosis

As I post this, there remain 77 days until the next Cleveland Browns football game, and even that one is a preseason game that "doesn't really count." This means there will be at least another 70 days of Off Season Psychosis in the Cleveland Browns Forum. I say 70 because surely to God the last week leading up to the game will actually bring back normal posting.

Right now, the primary symptom of OSP is the conspiracy theory. All forums have factions. The Browns Forum has official factions known as Bushwood, the BFFs, the Quinnbots, the Andersonbots and Tman, who is so generally irritating to everyone he counts as a faction by himself. Unofficial factions include "the chicks," of which I am a member. Possibly.

Oh, I'm still a chick. I may even be all three chicks who post there. Or, I might be a man. In fact, it has been declared that I am not only a man, but I am multiple men, some posing as women, some posing as Browns fans, some posing as trolls and ALL working as a moderator for the company which owns the forum. Whew! I'm a busy girl/guy!

I've always found fascinating the number of personalities in the forum. Some, I feel certain, are completely fictional. One thing about the internet is that you can pretend to be someone completely different if you want to. Who would know? And this is exactly why the conspiracy theories about forum posters abound. I mean, who hasn't been accused of being a mod at one time or another? On the other hand, if you are genuine and "be yourself," who would know that either? Nobody can prove a thing. So now, the "Kat Persona" has become one of the biggest mysteries and controversies of the off season in the Browns Forum.

Truthfully, I tried to hide my identity once and failed miserably. One of the regulars spotted me within 5 minutes. I guess I'm irrepressible.

No comments: