13 December 2007

Off-Topic Frivolity and Its Enemies

KardiacKat is dead. My handle in the Cleveland Browns forum has been "yellow-carded" by the Nazis at Advance.net yet again. And this is no mere 24-hour ban for swearing. It's execution. And by IP address too.

This isn't the first time, nor will it be the last, I feel certain. It's no big deal, and yet it irks.

While some forum regulars frequently use racial slurs, pick fights and even stalk other posters, my good buddy and I, as best we can figure, are banned for Off-Topic Frivolity. My God! The scourge of Burl Ives Christmas song lyrics cannot and will not be tolerated!

I appreciate that the forum was set up for the discussion of the Cleveland Browns (who will clinch a playoff berth this Sunday--Book It!), but how many times can a sane human being debate the Derek Anderson vs. Brady Quinn issue before a little Burl Ives is needed to sooth raging tempers and restore calm and order? And what's so wrong with confirming the recipe for cinnamon pecans from the forum's resident trained chef? Is it so bad to wax poetic now and then over the genius of Mel Brooks? Must we refrain from all esoteric banter?

Fuck it.

I have created three new handles and all three have been sniped by the mods. I will risk no more innocent handle lives. At least not for a couple of weeks. That is my holiday gift to Advance.net. I'd sing Holly Jolly Christmas for them too, but I'm afraid the internet might blow up.

No comments: