27 January 2008

ESPN: The Fashion Edition

Guess who we're talking about when we read that he "walked with long strides and without a limp in his brown wingtips..." or that he "stood at the podium in a gray, pinstriped suit, and a crisp white shirt that was open at the collar. He had no overcoat but kept his hands in his pockets in the subfreezing temperatures..."

Fabio? George Clooney? Perhaps Tommy Hilfiger?

No, it was a different Tommy, of course: Tom Brady who was taking flight to go win another game this year. Nothing too significant, only the Super Bowl.

To my great amusement, these comments don't come from GQ or Entertainment Weekly or OK! They come from an ESPN article. Oh, I'm quite interested in what Tom Brady is or isn't wearing. In fact, the photographic evidence above clearly shows he was wearing three-of-five of my Five Instant Hottifiers for Men. I just feel slightly uncomfortable getting the information from ESPN.

Yes, I'm aware that the guys on my favorite network are a bunch of clothes horses, to put it mildly. The value of the neckties alone on any given NFL Sunday Countdown (or for that matter on The NFL Today on CBS or FOX NFL Sunday) is without question worth more than my entire wardrobe. And I know they pay attention to what guys like Tom Brady and Kobe Bryant wear in the post-game presser. Proof enough is Kirk Herbstreit wearing a wool newsboy cap on College GameDay not one week after Tom Brady wore one for his Monday Night Football interview. (Note to Herbie: You have the classic good looks of a 1940s cinematic hero. Put on a fedora and don't look back!) Frankly, I would not have been shocked if half of the ESPN crew had shown up in protective boots when Tom Brady was first spotted wearing his last Monday. I mean, such a boot projects a certain vulnerability while still conveying a determination to overcome. In other words, it is sure to attract chicks.

Truthfully, I appreciate the effort my sports guys go to in looking nice, but let's leave off commentary, shall we? Leave that sort of silliness to me.

No comments: