09 October 2007

Everybody Doesn't Have to Like You

I have to tell myself that a lot. It's hard for me to remember because I'm a pleaser by nature. It has always been my habit to do what people expect, defer to the plans/needs/ideas/whims of others, and to keep my complaints to myself. Matt Damon has a line in The Departed: "I'm fuckin' Irish. I can live with something being wrong for the rest of my life." That's always been my way, which is probably why my therapist says I am "simmering with resentment."

But she's right. I am simmering. If I don't learn to vent, this pressure cooker is going to blow the roof outta the kitchen. {smiles sweetly}

So, I came up with a few affirmations. Some mantras, if you will. I say them out loud. Sometimes with different accents. Say them along with me if you're simmering:

"What? I'm 'too friendly?' Go to hell you fuckin' snob."
I'll just stick with Matt Damon's Boston accent for that one.

"Sorry I don't worship your uninformed opinion. Try back next week."
Try that one in a sort of dry, Jerry Orbach, Lenny-the-cop voice. OR, if you're feeling particularly sassy, you can do it in his Lumiere voice from Beauty and the Beast.

"This time, we're gonna do things my way."
Nicholson. Without question.

So I say these and similar things a few times a day, and it at least makes me feel better for the moment. Fake it 'til you make it kind of thing. I'm open to other empowering suggestions, short of criminal acts. {smiles sweetly again}


No comments: