14 October 2007

Football ramblings

Quinn...when?
Just my luck, Derek Anderson has turned into a quarterback. I'm never gonna see Pretty Brady Quinn take a snap this year. Not that it would matter anyhow, since the TV conspires to never show a Browns game in north Alabama.

My stiff-arm needs work
My left arm is sore. I stiff-armed a running back Friday night when he got forced out of bounds on my side. This might be a good time to say that I cover high school football for the local newspaper on Fridays even though I don't work there full time anymore. Anyway, he was gonna run me over. I turned slightly, put out my arm (to hopefully protect my camera), and now my arm, from elbow to shoulder, is "stove up" as we say in the South. He didn't knock me down though! He checked up a bit I have no doubt. Last season when I got hit, my flash was broken off the camera. That sucked.

Bicep band mystery solved
I have been wondering about those narrow bands I see a lot of the players wear. Some wear just one set, right at the elbow, and others wear a pair on each arm, with one above and one below the bicep. Their purpose is similar to the classic sweatband, but made more narrow and better fitting. However, as I suspected, they are mostly meant to look sexy-cool. Nike, which manufactures such bands, even calls them "gun flaunters." Here's a link to theirs: http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?l=nikestore,pdp,_pdp,gid-110404/pid-110403#l=nikestore,pdp,_pdp,cid-1/gid-110404/pid-110406&re=US&co=US&la=EN. I'm searching the internet frantically for a picture of Alabama quarterback John Parker Wilson in his bicep bands, which looked more than acceptable. Fear not. I shall persist.

No comments: