15 November 2007

Cheap Woman

I like cubic zirconia. What's it to you? I realize I'm damaging the diamonds-are-forever, and the whole caring enough to give the very best thing, but in my book that's horseshit. You can buy me a $5,000 ring. Or you can buy me five $1,000 rings. Or you can buy me 50 rings at $100 a pop. Or I can get a friggin' pirate's treasure of $20 baubles and be happy as a pig in slop. I'm easy and I'm cheap.

Some people will never understand this. The label is king, the "authenticity" is paramount. And these people who feel that the very best is the only thing acceptable will never be satisfied for fear that the best they've got isn't the very best.

I like Chef Boyardee ravioli. I realize that it is not Italian food. It is what it is. And I like it. I wear $15 jeans from Wal-Mart because they feel good. I once got a pair of jeans for Christmas that cost my father $100--and that was 20 years ago. They didn't fit right. We took them back and I got enough Wal-Mart jeans to last me for the next five years.

This doesn't mean I don't indulge myself some things. Of course I do. For example, I love a Sak handbag. Difference is, I buy mine used from eBay for $10 instead of new at the store for $50. I'm plenty happy to live this way. There are plenty worse things than being cheap. Like being impossible to please.

No comments: