27 November 2007

Talking to Kids

My son and a school friend came home from school today and demanded snacks. I made Scooter a ham-and-onion sandwich (he's recently decided he LOVES onions), and I asked Daisy, a first grader, if she wanted a ham sandwich also.

"Yes. I just want mayonnaise and eggs," she said.

"You mean mayonnaise and ham?"

"No, just mayonnaise and eggs."

"So you want an egg sandwich?"

"Yes. It's my best sandwich. Isn't it yours?"

Yep.

* * *

A few days ago my son was talking to my sister.

"Are you gonna have a little cousin for me to play with?" he asked her.

"Yes, and when we do, we're going to name him Captain Awesome."

"That's a good name. But why not Ned?"

Ned?

* * *

"Mommy, what would win...?" is a question Scooter has asked me for years. Literally, since he was about two years old, he's been very concerned on who or what would win some fictional battle. The who and what varies as he gets older and his interests change. In the early days, it was all real, existing animals. Later, the question involved Power Rangers and dinosaurs.

This week: "Mommy, what would win? Mecha-Godzilla or Darth Vader from Episode III?"

My brain seized.

At least he's got a good imagination.

No comments: