21 November 2007

Holes

I'm a Swiss cheese. I have some empty spots. Don't be alarmed; yes, my life is reasonably complete. I'm not on the verge of running away with the circus or anything like that. I'm a well-aged Swiss cheese with just a few holes here and there.

I've never been to Europe. That's a hole for me that I hope to fill sometime before I die. Until I do, it will remain a hole. Not all people feel this way. There are plenty of people who have barely left the confines of their home town or home state, and are perfectly happy, and that's good for them. I make no judgment on their contentment to live in a smaller world. It's an enviable trait, to be content where you are. And it's certainly cheaper to stay home than to spend a week in Paris.

Music is another hole. I've said before that I've toyed with musical instruments off and on for years, never getting anywhere. This is my own fault. I'm too much of an instant gratification girl to have the patience to learn. Realizing that, I at least know what I have to do to fill this particular hole. I can do it as long as I remind myself that it can't be filled instantly. Now I just need a guitar.

The biggest hole is the Adventure hole. I'm not sure what sort of adventure I need. I have nothing particular in mind. Going back to school for a new degree could be a great adventure. Moving to a large city would be very adventurous for me. A week in Paris would be quite an adventure, and fill two holes at once. (No jokes, please, ya perverts.) Of course, adventure can come along at any time. You just have to recognize it and go for it I suppose. That's difficult for a person who has always been timid about risking things. But at least knowing that now is a step in the right direction.

I don't know that I could ever NOT be a Swiss cheese. I'm too rooted in imagination to be completely solid. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. I will always have some niche I can work at filling. That should keep me busy for the rest of my life.

No comments: